Post Views: 25601 Views
Explore the A – Z Guide of how to make a great impression at work. As the job market is extremely competitive and jobs are no longer for life, doing a great job is more than simply getting the job done. It’s also about building a solid reputation and making a great impression in your workplace.
By Catherine Adenle
How do you stand out and make a great impression at work? How do you make a great impression and get noticed in order to differentiate yourself from others who are equally good as you but doing wheel spinning work?
According to the author of ‘How to Shine at Work’, Linda Dominguez, “Today’s turbulent work environment is rife with advancement opportunities for those who know how to seize them”.
Working and doing just what is expected of you as in spinning your wheels at work might earn you your monthly salary, but it’s unlikely to put you in line for a substantial raise or promotion. Fulfilling your responsibilities is good but you have to remember that there are many people in your workplace.
You can make a great impression at work by following the information on the A to Z Guide (Infographic) shown below.
Trying some of the listed things on the Infographic will surely enable you to make a great impression at work.The thing to always remember is, if you do what will clearly set you aside positively from everyone, without a doubt you will get noticed at work.
Regardless of the A – Z guide of how to make a great impression at work, you have to know what you are worth at work.
“If you’re looking for a promotion or just recognition, you should think about what you offer to the company and be ready to present in concrete terms what you’ve achieved so far” says Nancy Ancowitz.
See Six Powerful Ways to Stand Out at Work
Now that you have gone through this A – Z guide of how to make a great impression at work, what else can you add to the guide? Let’s hear from you by adding your comments below.
Prefer to read the content of the A – Z guide of how to get noticed at work?
| A is for:
- Always listen to understand first and not listen to reply.
- Always dress for the next job you want. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up, and show up in top form.
- Ask effective questions and attend company events, especially those attended by leadership team members. There you can network, get noticed and meet colleagues from other departments.
B is for:
- Building a ladder for your own growth is vital, do the work that will set you aside and form your ladder to move up.
- Be a team player. Jump at the opportunity to help a colleague on a project. You’ll get noticed at work for doing this and also learn something new while you gain a reputation as a helpful employee.
- Be in the loop but know when to step off..
C is for:
- Choose to think positive as this will allow you to get noticed at work. It’s important that you overlook the mud and rain in order to see the stars. Your thinking will profoundly affect your experience and growth. All of these attributes will surely get you noticed at work.
- Chatting, challenging and deriving solutions will get you noticed at work too.
- Communicate effectively and powerfully
- Change is the order of the day, be prepared for the unexpected.
D is for:
- Doing the same thing as everyone will not get you noticed, but doing the same thing better than everyone will get you noticed at work.
- Dress appropriately for the work you do. While a fresh idea or killer presentations will certainly earn you that extra points from your manager and colleagues, dressing appropriately will get you noticed too.
- Do what you say you’ll do.
E is for:
- Enjoy learning from others and be courteous when you need anyone’s help. Always ask for help when you need it.
- Echo positive messages and repeat good behaviour.
- Elicit feedback from necessary sources and know the ‘go to’ people in your organisation for various things.
F is for:
- Find solutions to challenges and problems.
- Flexibility and adaptability are great qualities. You will get noticed at work if you possess these skills. You have to be ready and willing to compromise.
- Fresh ideas will certainly earn you that extra recognition at work. Always think of how to further improve processes and any pain points.
G is for:
- Get noticed at work by going the extra mile in being civil towards everyone.
- Get outside and network every day and often. Career miracles are everywhere; your opportunity is waiting everywhere if you get noticed at work.
- Great opportunities should not go to waste. Find a way to turn a dull wall into windows of opportunities. You will hit the bullseye by doing this and certainly get noticed at work by those who count.
H is for:
- Help your boss to shine. Ask how you can help as you can easily get noticed at work for this.
- Hate can eat at your soul and affect your productivity and well-being. Try not to hate your work or anyone at work. If you find it difficult not to hate both, then it may be time to change your work and environment so that you are not noticed at work for the wrong reasons.
I is for:
- Identify the types of people who can best support your goal when you’re interested in advancing your career. They will surely notice you and your goal.
- Improve things at work as continuous improvement is the order of the day.
- Insightful comments and contributions are vital. Get noticed at work for such comments and contributions.
J is for:
- Jobs are not for life anymore. Take care of the one you have by doing what you are getting paid to do and more, so that you can get noticed at work.
- Jokes are nice once in a while but don’t be the village joker at work, because you will get noticed at work for not being serious. This can affect your progression.
K is for:
- Keep learning and keep updating your skills, it will help you to handle change better.
- Kill difficult people with kindness at work. This is an important skill for dealing with the inevitable challenges of the workplace. If you can do this, you will be in everyone’s good books and get noticed at work.
- Know that no one is in charge of your career except you. So, push ahead and do what you need to do to get noticed at work.
L is for:
- Learn to engage people, the gift of the gab is great but be able to back it up with solid knowledge.
- Learn all you can about the organization and your role. Learn how to do all the tasks that are part of your role.
- Live up to your values and that of your organisation.
- Learn a skill that will help you stand out. For example, become the person everyone goes to when they need something or when they need help with checking their work or how to use a computer program.
M is for:
- Make yourself understood. Choose the right words to express your thoughts. This will improve your ability to articulate your point.
- Move out of your comfort zone, staying in the box will not get you noticed at work.
- Manage your energy wisely, waste less time on regular but unrecognised tasks.
N is for:
- Never flog a dead horse! If it is going nowhere, don’t have your name tied to it.
- Negativity will get you nowhere. You don’t want to get noticed at work for the wrong reasons.
- Never step on anyone else’s toes.
O is for:
- Obstacles can be turned into opportunities. Always look at the opportunities that will get you noticed when confronted with obstacles.
- Over prepare always, and then go with the flow but shine within it.
P is for:
- Plan, prioritise and plough through your list of things to do daily.
- Promote yourself through your sills, work and presence.
- Proactivity is vital, you will get noticed at work for this attribute.
Q is for:
- Quality work cannot be overlooked. Get noticed at work for doing great work.
- Quantity is important if you are judged on the number of tasks completed daily or monthly.
- Question things cleverly and think before you speak.
R is for:
- Respond well to feedback.
- Respect your colleagues’ diversity of opinions and experiences.
- Reliability and dependability are both important as you will get noticed at work by these two qualities.
- Recognizing your limits is a sign of personal strength and maturity.
S is for:
- Showcase your skills at every opportunity.
- Support and encourage your colleagues.
- Step away from anyone who can dull your shine.
- Show leadership.
T is for:
- There is wisdom in thinking before talking. Get noticed at work by making comments that are sensible
- Think two steps ahead; having a great foresight is everything and will get you noticed at work.
- Take on a challenging project, you will surely get noticed at work for this.
- Take on the task that needs to be done. Team players work effectively with others to achieve common goals, whether or not the task is part of their job description.
U is for:
- Use praise and criticism to grow and improve on the job. This is critical if you want to get noticed at work for the right reasons.
- Universally, great workers do get noticed at work for their skills and the ability add value to their organisations, so be one of them.
- Use your connectional intelligence; don’t try to be like everyone else.
V is for:
- Value and display the ability to listen in order to engage and help people to tune-in to your ideas. This is the most underrated and most critical job retention skill of all. Once mastered, you will get noticed at work.
W is for:
- Work smarter, if you can use a car to get somewhere on time if time is of essence, why walk?
- Who do you look up to at work? Have him/her as a mentor and learn from him/her.
V is for:
- Volunteer for work often.
- Vice has no place at work but the volume and quality of work are both important. You will get noticed at work if you can achieve both.
X is for:
- Xtra mile or extra work will get you noticed at work
Y is for:
- Your comfort zone may be cushy, but you need to get out of it and shine.
- You can’t possibly control everything; so focus mostly on what you can control.
Z is for:
- Zealousness is vital. Show passion and enthusiasm in your day to day activities at work.