Although the prospect of a new job is exciting, for a job seeker, the process required to ace the interview and land the new job can be fraught with a great deal of anxiety.
Compared to other anxiety-inducing issues, attending a job interview is considered to be one of the most critical aspects of every expedition that brings a job seeker face-to-face with a future employer.
Job interviews don’t have to be as stressful as you consider them to be. As a job seeker, by preparing yourself for a job interview, you should be able to manage most of the events which take place during the interview.
The key things to do are – prepare, plan and practice for any job interview by knowing and practising the best answers to these 35 most popular job interview questions as shown below.
First, let’s explore the basic job interview preparation work:
Basic job interview preparation work
In preparation for an interview you should:
35 most popular job interview questions to prepare answers for:
1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Can you talk me through your resume/CV?
3. What do you know about our organization?
4. Why do you want to work for us?
5. What specific goals, including those related to this role, have you established in the past?
6. What can you do for us that someone else can’t?
7. What do you find most attractive about this position? What is the least attractive?
8. Why should we hire you?
9. What do you look for in a job?
10. Can you describe back to me the position for which you are being interviewed?
11. What do you think it takes to be successful in this role?
12. How long would it take you to make a meaningful contribution to our organisation if you are hired?
13. Which is more important to you, the job itself, the company or your salary?
14. How do you determine success? Give me an example of one of your successful accomplishments in the past.
15. What has been your most rewarding career accomplishment to date?
16. Are you more energized by working with data or by collaborating with others?
17. Why are you leaving your present job?
18. Describe the type of boss that has created the most beneficial working experience for you.
19. How would you describe yourself in terms of your ability to work as a member of an already established team?
20. What motivates you to put forward your greatest effort?
21. Given the investment we will make in hiring and training you, can you give us further reasons to hire you?
22. How would your current colleagues and manager describe you?
23. In your current position, what did you like the most? And the least?
24. What do you think of your manager?
25. What is your salary expectation?
26. Give me a specific example of a time when you used good judgment and logic in solving a problem
27. Would you say that you can easily work in high-pressure situations?
28. What quality or attribute do you feel will most contribute to your career success in this role?
29. What personal weakness has caused you the greatest difficulty in your previous job?
30. If you could change or improve anything about you, what would it be?
31. Have you ever had difficulty with a supervisor or instructor? How did you resolve the conflict?
32. Tell me about a major problem you recently handled. Were you successful in resolving it?
33. Where do you expect to be in five years?
34. Describe an instance when you had to think on your feet to extricate yourself from a difficult situation.
35. Have you got anything you’d like to ask us?
Now, let’s explore other questions that you may be asked if you apply for a managerial role:
Other questions for a managerial role
Answering interview questions well can be a “make or break” your opportunity of a dream job. Knowing the questions that the interviewer is likely to ask is important but knowing why they are asking and how to answer will help you to ace your job interview.
Let’s hear from you if you have more questions to add to the list of 35 most popular job interview questions shown above. Just add your comment below.